Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Scariest moment of my life

These past few days have been a total whirlwind. It is crazy how your life can change in an instant. We were having a great weekend with Kylie in town, we went to Gymboree, went to the park, watched football with the whole family and Sunday morning we went to watch Kylie at her horse lessons before we went and played golf. Easton being happy, full of energy and running around everywhere...
We were at my parent's house after golf and it was time to eat dinner. We put Easton in his high chair while we ate and realized he wasn't really eating like he normally would. Drake went to take him out and said he felt really warm so we took his temperature and it was 101.7 and he was acting lethargic. He went from running around to fever in the span of a few minutes which was so weird. We headed home to give him a bath and some medicine to help him feel better. 

Once we got home we were both in the bathroom helping with Easton's bath and he was whiny. Drake was holding him and had just finished washing him and he appeared to slip to the side...luckily Drake was holding him and went to go help him back up and when he did, Easton's body was just limp. As soon as we saw that Drake starts yelling, "Easton, Easton?!" And I take off down the hallway to call 911. As I go to get the phone Drake is yelling, "Call 911! He's not breathing!" We are both in total panic mode and as I am fumbling through getting to the keypad to call 911 I am trying not to lose it knowing my baby is in the other room not breathing and what if they don't get here in time. I get them on the phone and am frantically giving the lady our address and telling her what happened and to please hurry. Once she said they are on their way, she said I need you to calm down and tell me what happened so I can help you. A switch went off...I went into total focus mode and knew I had to keep it together. I run back in the room and I will never forget the image of Drake holding Easton in a towel and Easton is just lifeless. Totally blue in his face, eyes rolling and not breathing. 

I tell Drake that we have to focus for Easton. After what we think was about a minute and a half he starts breathing a little but very erratic. At that point we laid him on his side in case he had another seizure so he wouldn't throw up on himself and I am talking to Easton and telling Drake whatever the operator tells me. "Go unlock the door for the fire department" "Turn on the outside lights" then Easton starts a very faint and exhausted whimper. Thank God. The firemen and paramedics arrive and I am talking to Easton, rubbing his head while giving them all the info they need. I hear Drake in the hallway crying so hard. I carried Easton to the ambulance and neighbors were all out wondering what was going on. We had to keep him naked to try and bring his temp down on the ride to the hospital. Poor baby was crying so hard and shivering the whole ride with monitors on him. Drake sat up front and called his mom and dad to let them know what was going on. He had what is called a febrile seizure. It is caused not due to how high your fever is, but how fast it takes over your body and your body shuts down to try and cool off. We found out that it is pretty common in ages 6 months to 6 years. Several kids who have them will only have one their whole lives and we pray that is the case with Easton. 
Once we got to the ER and he had several tests done he finally settled down...but not until he got some ice chips and football on the TV. :) We were sent home and had to give him meds every 3 hours. Yesterday was up and down. He had a spike of fever around 5am where he woke up throwing up and not feeling well at all and then another spike around lunch time to 104.8 and we were back at the doctor with him in his diaper and cool rags all over his body trying to cool him off. No strep, no ear infection or flu. Just a random very aggressive viral infection is what caused this. Today has been much better and we are still doing meds but on the upswing of this whole thing. 

We will now carry meds with us at all times if and when Easton gets even a low grade fever we have to act quick to make sure it doesn't go up too fast and cause another seizure. We talked after everything about how much worse it could have been. 5 minutes earlier and we would have still been driving in the car with him possibly having a seizure in the backseat and us oblivious. The fact that Drake was holding Easton at the moment it happened so he didn't hit his head. So thankful to God for our blessings through all of this. Love my baby so much ♥ 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you said it perfectly, your life can change in an instant. I know I don't comment much, but I love reading your updates and Easton seems like such a sweet boy. I am crying for you right now, What a terrifying experience. I am so glad it turned out to be ok. I hope you all and Easton never have to go through this again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God Rachel, I was so worried when I saw your FB post yesterday, and reading this post just brought me to tears. I cannot imagine how scary that must have been. SOOO thankful he is doing better today. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God Rachel, this is terrifying! I was on the verge of tears reading this anyway, but the part about Drake crying in the hallway did me in. It sounds like you handled the situation wonderfully and I am so glad it all played out the way that it did if it had to happen at all. So so scary! Thinking of you guys and hope he continues to feel better and this never happens again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart hurts so much for you. That pain and terror watching your child suffer is something no mom should go through. I remember when Aiden was attacked by a dog last year. That was my worst moment too. Hugs to you and I'm saying prayers for you guys. So thankful Drake was there. I hope you never go through anything like this again. So happy Easton is doing better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary! In tears over here. I can't even imagine. I am so glad he is okay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :) You are awesome!