Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Quick update

It's been a good first week back to work...I have next week and then a 3 day weekend already! haha I love my job! It's been really cold everywhere this week so we have been indoors, but were able to go bowling last night which Easton loves! 
Today has been really good with Easton's speech. We have the therapist come to our house Wednesdays at 4:30 every week. She was very happy with the things Easton imitated with his mouth and said that there is still a chance it could end up being a language delay. She did not want to freak us out last week (of course she did) but wanted to be honest about the couple signs she was seeing, but said he did great tonight. Also, they will never "officially" diagnose apraxia before the age of 3, which to me was another positive that we have that much more time for him to progress and rule that out. We are SO hopeful and happy about the potential of just a language delay. I obviously realize this is just a week later, so I am being realistic...but positive. The signs of apraxia did not magically disappear in a week but he added some things this week that can hopefully lean us a little more the other way, even if just a little. A language delay would be some work but once he started talking he would be good to go for his future...the apraxia would be a never ending struggle. So, we are by no means out of the woods but I will take any positive right now. I just hate the wait of not knowing. It is and will continue to be a roller coaster of emotions I'm sure. Just have to take one day at a time. We will continue to work hard and love on our boy. 

Happy Wednesday! xoxo

6 comments:

  1. That is great news! I can understand her wanting to be honest, but wow even mentioning something about your brain being unable to send signals to the mouth might have been a little much? It's great that you all are working with him and he is showing progress in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea...I just went back in and kind of added a little more to my post. :) The signs of the apraxia are still there, but we are just very excited to have had some progress this week. Any progress is great news...but we still don't know. It is bittersweet about her telling us the possibility, now I worry so much but I do know that we have been working that much harder to help him once we found that out too. Thanks for posting!

      Delete
  2. Yay E!! Ugh, i can imagine the wait will be hard, but hopefully in the meantime his speech will grow and improve and calm your nerves a bit. Dont you love all the school holidays?? I only wish i got summers off too, and didnt have to have a baby to get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, what a rollercoaster of emotions you guys must be on! I'll be praying that this is just a delay you're dealing with and that by the time age 3 rolls around he is chatting just like all his friends!

    PS - love your new tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a worrier by nature, so I can relate to stressing about the apraxia stuff. I automatically assume the worse and research like crazy. However, you are so right, you still have lots of time before an official diagnosis can be made. I'm impressed with how much Easton is already learning, that's a terrific sign! Praying that Easton continues to improve rapidly and that he will be right on track soon. I'm not sure what programs your State offers, but I know here in Wyoming, we have a preschool program 2+ that kids can qualify to attend for free that works specifically with speech delayed kids. They only take a few kids each year, but maybe something like that would be an option to get Easton extra help each week besides his speech teacher coming? :-) Also, a speech friend of mine recommended for Aiden a karaoke machine so he could work on his articulation. That way he can "sing" or "talk" into the microphone and he can hear himself? Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the karaoke idea! We will have to look for a little machine :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting :) You are awesome!